The original Oobleck recipe is made with cornstarch. You simply mix cornstarch and water, with specific ratios, to get the mixture we call oobleck.
Many have experimented with various ingredients to see if they could recreate oobleck without cornstarch. It is in fact possible to make oobleck without it! Let me share those recipes with you.
How to make oobleck without cornstarch
1 – Baking Soda
A super simple and easy recipe that only requires baking soda & baking powder.
Here’s how you make it the baking soda oobleck:
- 4 tbsp of Baking Soda
- 4 tbsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- Add 4 tablespoon of baking powder to the water.
- Stir for 45 seconds.
- Add 4 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Continue stirring for a good 1 to 2 minutes until you see a thick consistency.
2 – Potato Starch
Yes, you read that correctly! We can use potatoes to make oobleck. Well, potato starch that is!
- 2 cup of Potato Starch
- 1 cup of Water
- Mix the potato starch and water together in a bowl.
- Stir until you get the consistency of oobleck.
- If it’s the texture is too liquidy, add more starch.
3 – Tapioca/Arrowroot Powder
I honestly had no idea that tapioca powder/flour would behave the same way as cornstarch Who knew!
- 250g tapioca powder
- 250ml of water (room temperature)
- Empty the tapioca powder in a bowl.
- Add the water at room temperature to the bowl.
- Mix well.
- If the consistency is too wet/liquid, add more powder a little at a time.
Can we use flour to make oobleck?
No, flour cannot be used to make oobleck. When you mix water & flour, you’d get a glue-type consistency which is unlike the consistency of oobleck.
Is oobleck edible?
If you child takes a bite you don’t have to worry too much. Oobleck is a taste-safe activity. I would advise against eating the oobleck in large amounts as it may cause digestive issues.
How long can oobleck be stored?
I do not recommend keeping the oobleck longer than 24 hours or it could become moldy. NOTE – Always dispose of your oobleck in your trash – NOT in your sink.
Is oobleck safe for toddlers?
Oobleck is super safe for toddlers as it uses non-toxic food-grade ingredients. If they ever decided to explore with their mouth, it is very safe for them to do so. As said above, I would not recommend eating oobleck in large amounts as it may cause an upset stomach.