Movement games for kids are a great way to get them up and moving. They can help improve gross motor skills, coordination, and balance.
Kids learn best when they are moving! Here are some great movement games for kids that will get them active while having fun.
22 Movement Games for Kids
Here are 22 movement games you can play at any time with very few accessories needed!
- Musical Chairs – This classic game is a great way to get kids moving and groove to some tunes!
- Hokey Pokey – Another classic that is sure to get kids moving, shaking, and giggling!
- Balloon Bash – This game is sure to be a hit with the kiddos! They will love trying to keep the balloons from hitting the ground.
- Red Light, Green Light – This is a great game for helping kids with following directions and motor skills.
- Simon Says – A classic game that kids always love! This is a great way to get them to listen and follow directions.
- Mother May I? – Another classic game that is perfect for getting kids moving. They will love trying to reach the finish line first.
- The limbo – How low can you go? This game is great for kids to practice their balance and flexibility.
- Dance Party – Crank up the music and let the kids loose! This is a great way to get them moving and burning off some energy.
- Freeze Dance – This game is always a hit with kids! They will love dancing around and then freezing when the music stops.
- Duck, Duck, Goose – This is a great game for kids to run around and have some silly fun!
- Tag: A simple game that can be played anywhere, Tag is a great way to get kids running around.
- Hide and Seek – A classic game that is sure to get kids moving, Hide and Seek is a great way to get kids up and active.
- Hopscotch – A classic game that never goes out of style, Hopscotch is a great way to get kids moving.
- Obstacle Course – A great way to get kids moving and thinking, an Obstacle Course is a great way to get kids up and moving around.
- Red Rover – This is a great game for kids to play in a group. They will love trying to run and break through the line.
- Relay Races – This is a great way to get kids moving and working together as a team.
- Treasure/Scavenger Hunt – This is a great game for kids to use their problem-solving skills while they move around looking for the treasure.
- Follow the Leader – This game is great for groups of kids! They will have to follow the leader and do what they do.
- Hot Potato – Another great game for groups of kids! They will have to work together to pass the potato around without dropping it.
- Please Mr. Crocodile, Can I Cross? – Another classic but oh-so-fun game! They will have to work together to get across the crocodile without getting eaten.
- Ring Around The Rosy – This game is perfect for groups of kids! They will have to work together to get around the circle without falling down.
- The Floor is Lava – This game is great for kids to use their problem-solving skills while they move around the room avoiding the lava.
Why are Movement Games Good for Kids?
Movement games are good for kids for so many reasons! Here are just a few:
- They help to improve gross motor skills.
- They help to improve coordination.
- They help to improve balance.
- They help to improve flexibility.
- They help to improve social skills.
Movement games can really have a great impact on kids. Get out there and start playing with your kids today!
Please note that this is not intended to be medical advice. If you have any concerns about your child’s development, please consult with a doctor or occupational therapist.